Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Never Let Me Go Section 2

The reader receives the history of Kathy and her friends in a series of flashbacks and anecdotes.  She is older and proclaims herself to be wiser now.  She begins to make connections that she was incapable of making at Hailsham and in the Cottages.  One of the more interesting aspects of the novel is how vividly these memories come back to her and how foreboding of the future they can sometimes be.  Especially in regards to Tommy, Kathy's memory is infallible.  She even often remembers exactly what he was wearing.  The recollections of her conversations with Ruth are also extremely detailed.  Both of these occurrences indicate the importance of these two character as Kathy matures.

Due to the fact that the story is told from the point of view of Kathy's future self, foreshadowing is prevalent.  In general, after every anecdotal story Kathy recounts, she references something that will happen in the future.  When she is discussing the Exchanges and Patricia C.'s calendar, she says, "It's one of the things I lost when I left the Cottages, when my mind was elsewhere and I wasn't being so careful what I took with me--but I'll come to all that in its place"  (Ishiguro, 94).  Such subtle indications keep the reader interested as many of the references tend to be grim and ominous.

No comments:

Post a Comment