Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mary Shelley-"Frankenstein" Part 2.


The Ultimate Cliffhanger. 

"I was at first touched by the expression of his misery; yet, when I called to mind what Frankenstein had said of his powers of eloquence and persuasion, and when I again cast my eyes on the lifeless form of my friend, indignation was rekindled within me" (Shelley, 164).

The conclusion to Shelley's "Frankenstein" may or may not be a cliffhanger due to how the reader perceived Victor and the creature throughout the story.  The creature claims he is going to go to the North Pole to commit suicide after he has been reassured of the death of his creator.  This causes me to doubt whether or not he will actually do it.  The creature claims he was suffering significantly more than Victor; therefore,  I do not see why he would need to see Victor dead before himself.  I do not see what Victor's death accomplishes for the creature.  Additionally, the scene in which the creature kills Elizabeth causes me to question whether or not he actually goes to die in the end.  When Victor looks up and sees the creature out the window, the creature is grinning and points to the lifeless body of Elizabeth.  This made me believe that the creature had lost any sense of humanity that he had managed to gain from the DeLacey family.  Based on this evidence, whether or not the creature dies in the end can be called into question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment